As can be seen from the War Memorial on the Village Green the First World War had a major impact on the Village. The fifth battallion of the North Staffordshire Regiment was formed in early August 1914 and many local men volunteered to join it. After a period of training the battalion went into active service in early 1915 and took many casualties at the Battle of Loos in the autumn. In addition to the men who lost their lives there were those who were scarred both physically and mentally. It is appropriate that at the centenary of the outbreak of the War that those who volunteered to fight for their country should be remembered and honoured. A Civic Service is being held at 4pm on 3rd August in the Parish Church and all villagers are invited to attend.