Cllr P Fisher (Chairman), Cllr C Hurst, Cllr V O’Dunne, Cllr S Tudor, Cllr D Borasinski, Cllr E Philpott, Cllr G Jones, Cllr J Dando
Also In attendance:
Mrs K St Leger (Clerk)
No members of the public were in attendance.
7:15 – 7:30 Public Open Forum
- Apologies – no apologies were received.
- Declarations of Interest – Cllr O’Dunne expressed an interest in item 36.
- Written applications for dispensations under the Localism Act 2011 – There were no written applications for dispensation.
- Minutes of the Annal Parish Council Meeting 16 May 2023 – The minutes were accepted as a true and accurate record and were duly signed by the Chairman.
- Matters arising from the meeting of 16 May 2023 and not otherwise on the agenda
Updates covered in the Clerk’s Report:
92 Highway matters – The date of the visit by Cllr Parry has not been confirmed, the Clerk has chased for an update.
161 Wedgwood Memorial College – No further update has been received to date.
195 Lease of Meadow Road land – The Borough are in the process of advertising the land, however Cllr Jones advised the costs had increased by £100 due to the delay in administering the process. As the Parish Council had resolved to fund £500 towards the costs and the item was not on the agenda to increase the amount. It was resolved for Cllr Jones to advise the Borough no additional funding would be available from the Parish Council.
214 Renewal of the Cricket Club Lease – The Clerk has instructed Wooliscroft’s Solicitors to commence with the preparation of the lease.
221 Neighbourhood Plan review grant – We are still waiting for the Government to announce any new funding. Concerns were raised that the proposed Stafford Gateway and Cold Meece projects were meeting with resistance which could put green belt land at risk, it was therefore important to monitor the situation closely. The recommendation to include the land adjacent to the Douglas MacMillan site be considered for release for building to be included in the revised plan, this would assist Barlaston in fighting off any proposed building in the Parish.
119 Replacement noticeboard on Barlaston Park – Fiskars have now agreed the board can be installed on site, however they wish to fit it due to liability issues. The Clerk to arrange delivery.
134 Bus stop shelter outside Orchard Place / Barlaston Park – The Clerk forwarded various options to the Cllrs for consideration which raised concerns with regards to the aesthetics which need to ‘fit in’ with the village theme; the sustainability / durability and costs, item to be referred to the Aesthetics Committee for consideration.
135 Drainage issues on the green (below the war memorial) – Works to replace the collapsed drainage to commence during June.
7 Banking Arrangements – It was resolved to add Cllr Fisher to the bank mandate, however due to the impending departure of the Clerk, it was resolved to defer the request and undertake changes to the banking arrangements in a single transaction during August.
20 Upgrade of SID devices to Solar – At the previous meeting approval was granted in principal fund the upgrade of the three Speed Indicator Devices to Solar, however Mr Norman has advised the posts will need to be upgraded to take the additional weight, prices are awaited. Full costings to be brought back to the Parish Council for consideration before any procurement or works scheduled.
21 Flashing Speed Sign / Crossing Patrol Officer – The 4 safety speed figures have been delivered to the School; due to half term these have not been utilised. An update is awaited as to how successful these will be to slow traffic down.
Highways have confirmed they will not permit the installation / use of a 20MPH flashing speed sign as there is no designated Crossing Patrol Officer in place, until such time this has been resolved, there will be no movement on this item. It was resolved for the Clerk to publish the advert on social media.
Reports from Councillors:
133 Implementation of electric charge points in the village (deferred)
Updates and determine actions regarding the following Committees:
- Environmental Committee
a. willow structure – it was resolved to remove this item.
b. Signage for the Wild Green following installation of new items (deferred)
- To note financial matters:
(a) The Clerk confirmed the previous year’s accounts had now been cleared down from the accounts system and issued two months of accounting statements, these figures were in line with the bank reconciliation figures and were approved.
(b) The schedule of payments report for May 2023 was approved.
|Expenditure – Standard
|K St Leger – Salary / Expenses
|Staffordshire County Pension
|Buxus Green – Inv202305 – May Grass Cutting
|Prostate Screening Programme
|Kim Squires Internal Audit Inv 23/07
|Midland Masonry – Cleaning of War Memorial inv 7949
|Canprint – Litter / Countryside Code posters – Inv 33364
|Zoom – Video Conferencing Inv 203900403
|Secret Kitchen – Catering for Annual Parish Meeting Inv 1497
|BHIB – Insurance Renewal Inv LC001494
|SignsDirect – Police Officer Parking Buddies inv 20381
|BT – Inv– Broadband Inv M
|Pozitive Energy Gas inv
|Pozitive Energy Electricity Inv
The co-option of Councillor vacancy – it was resolved for the Clerk to advertise the vacant position with preference being given to applicants from the relevant ward.
- The replacement of the Clerk process – It was noted the last working day of the Clerk would be 30 August 2023. The current Clerk has provided 3 months’ notice as opposed to the 6 weeks required and has agreed to assist the Parish Council in the future should the need arise. She will commence with the relevant paperwork which will be issued to Cllrs for consideration before the next Parish Council meeting. The formation of a committee will be required to undertake the recruitment process, members to be determined.
- Recipient for the Wedgwood Bowl – A number of names were submitted for consideration. It was resolved for Cllrs to submit a synopsis of their preferred candidate for consideration before the next Parish Council meeting.
- Actions to reduce dog fouling on the Cricket pitch – It was resolved for the Clerk to liaise with the Borough Council to see what actions can be taken. In the meantime, the Parish Council have issued signs stating dogs should be kept on the lead at the entrances to the public footpath.
- Risk Assessment updates and determine actions
- Rialtas Cloud – Training date to be agreed.
- Resilience training to cover office duties – Cllr O’Dunne will work with the Clerk to understand the processes involved to offer some resilience to the Parish Council.
- Use of Personal email addresses – The Clerk was in liaison with other Parish Councils to understand the processes / costs involved.
- To receive updates on and determine grant application(s) – No grant applications have been received.
- To note Planning issue(s) and outcomes
- Planning Application Reference 23/37481/COU at Robin Hill 7 Old Road Barlaston – described as Conversion and alteration of existing garage to form a dental surgery, waiting room and storage area including associated alterations to car park layout. Erection of single storey outbuilding to provide a staff office and installation of photovoltaic panels to the existing garage and dental surgery buildings. It was resolved to raise the issue of adequate parking provision to minimise impact on the surrounding area.
- Planning Application Reference 23/37418/HOU at The Cottage, The Green, Barlaston – described as 2 storey side extension. It was resolved to reject this planning application. Cllr Jones resolved to call this in using his Borough Council position, it was determined that Hannah Barter as our Planning Consultant would be approached to make representation on behalf of the Parish Council when this issue was presented at the Borough Planning Committee for consideration.
- Planning Application Reference 23/37371/HOU at 26 Brookhouse Drive, Barlaston – described as change of roof construction from Hip to Gable end to allow rear former to be constructed to form new bedroom. The Parish Council had no objection to this planning application.
- To receive items for inclusion in next agenda –
- Inscription for the Chairman’s Chain of Office / possible Chain of Office for the Vice Chairman.
- Lakewood Drive.
- Determine if an August meeting is required.
- Date of next meeting(s) – 4 July 2023